Thursday, January 21, 2010

Achacha I-Want-Ya

OK, OK, it doesn't exactly rhyme,I am only human.

Achacha, no this is not just a random collection of sounds that are used by dance instructors to describe the motions in sound(1-2-3 a-cha-cha)...well maybe it is used for that too, but the Achacha I am speaking about is actually a fruit. It originates from the Amazon, and it is a sweet, citrus strange fruit that is encased in a shell, and the fruit part is around a pit. Until recently this delectable fruit could only be tasted in South America, but Australia has just recently started growing them domestically and selling them. They look like this:

Confused about how to eat them? Well I was too, but never to worry the thoughtful marketing executives for the company selling them made a commercial (how often do you see commercials for fruit, well or in the case of norah vegetables), well not very often, but this was helpful. Also, they brought people into the stores selling them so they could let everyone try one. So here is how you do it:

Step 1-Hold in hand (as seen above)

Step 2-Press on soft shell until it cracks and remove part of the orange casing:

Step 3-Remove the rest of the casing until you are holding the white part of the fruit:


Step 4- Enjoy the fruit by sucking on the white part to get all of the fruit off the pit. (Sorry no picture tutorial for that part, I can only imagine very unflattering photos resulting of this.)

Step 5-Experience the wonderful sweet, sour, tangy, smooth, almost floral flavours of this fruit.

And there you have it-The Achacha! Now you are well educated on the Achacha, and if you are anything like me, you also now have some Latin song beat going through your head (1-2-3-a-cha-cha.) I hope that someday soon you will be able to enjoy one, I would bring some home to the states if I did not fear being detained by customs upon arriving in the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment