Last night I went to my first 'end of the month' partners dinner with James. We went onto the ship and had a few drinks in the officers wardroom and then to a nice little Czech restaurant. I did not take many pictures as we were not on board for very long :( and I was likely to excited to rmember. However, I might get to go on board again soon and be able to explore a little bit more.
I had told James that I expected everyone to be in uniform, on the ship deck dancing in unison and singing a sprightly version of "Eh Pirates Life for Me." Well needless to say, that unfortunately did not happen, even though it would have been awesome. Also, James wouldn't let me wear the pirate eye patch that I sent him either ....
As a foreign national here, getting onto his ship I had to give over my ID and be called a 'Yank' several times. Then once on the ship I found it funny for everyone to call James 'sir' and everyone to call me 'mam'. Not sure I am fond of that, although I don't think many females really like being called 'mam'. We didn't go to many places on the ship as we were on a bit of a schedule. However, I can tell you claustrophobics, need not apply. The hallways are small and filled with levers, pipes, life jackets, and such, and the ceilings are low. Also, you must have a love for bunk beds in order to want to stay on ship. James is quite impressed that he only has to share a space a third of the size of my bedroom with only one other person, and he is impressed with the size of his 'single' mattress. I suppose I would be as well after seeing the alternative of officer accomodation (three to one room and bunks that are half the size of his single one on top of the other on top of the other.)
We had a good night and it was nice to meet all of the people he works/sails with, they were all very nice. I might have the chance to go on a "family day" where we actually go to sea for a day, but not sure if it will happen yet, it would be interesting.
Well I must go cheer for my team, it is the AFL Grand Final footy game today and the St. Kilda Saints (my team), is in the final today. Hooray! Well I must go cheer for my game today/tomorrow. I hope everyone is having a nice yesterday.
Friday, September 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment