You know those signs hanging in the front of stores in America, stating that one must be at least wearing a shirt and shoes to enter a business, hopefully pants are also implied. Well apparently, that is not required here. I had noticed that a large amount of people walk around without shoes. Not where you would expect though, not in the little beachy sub burbs, but around campus or down main streets. The streets here are not exactly clean either, always trash or broken bottles, I am not sure what the appeal is. But it must be fairly normal because not only have I seen large amounts of people doing this but also in stores, and I have never seen a manager approach a person asking them to leave due to their lack of shoe attire. I am not sure if these people are just very forgetful and do not remember to put their shoes on when leaving the house. It surely cannot be comfortable to walk around on asphalt for long distances without your shoes (one does quite a bit of walking in Sydney.)
I thought that this lack of attire would stop at the lack of shoes, but we had the first couple of truly hot days this weekend, and boy oh boy did the shirts seemed to disappear. Well, for males that is, I have not seen any amazonian woman patrolling the streets, mainly guys in board shorts.
If you decide to visit me, I would suggest bringing shirts and shoes. However, if you happen to forget to pack it, no worries mate. I guess it is not so much a case of 'no shirt, no shoes, no service,' but more of 'no shirt, no shoes, no worries.'
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment