Thursday, October 15, 2009

Screen Writers Guild Wisdom

Yesterday in my "Exploring Historical Formats" class my teacher had John Collee come and speak to our class about writing screen plays. By the way John Collee is the screen writer for such films as Happy Feet, Master and Commander, and the upcoming film Creationism. Not like I am bragging or anything, well, OK, maybe I am bragging. But come on how incredibly cool is it that our little class of 15 people had a private lecture and wisdom from a successful Hollywood screen writer. I think it is pretty awesome.

That is all beside the point, so I will digress in order to address my actual intention of this blog. I may not be interested in screen writing but he said something profound that can be applied to any job, profession, or adventure in life.

"If you don't ask yourself, 'why in the hell am I doing this,' at least once, it is not an adventure, and it is not worth doing." (John Collee)

I thought that this was particularly insightful. Maybe it is because of all the times Papa or Greg have said in response to complaining by us youngin's in the family, 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I think that's right. Life is built like a roller coaster with extremely difficult climbs, exhilarating plummets, fast side winding unexpected curves. If they built a theme park and a roller coaster without those things it would be a straight flat set of train tracks, and what is exciting or rewarding about that? Nothing, it is boring. Not only is it boring, if life didn't have hardships it would be difficult to appreciate the positives in life. A little hardship and a lot of hard work always end up with a positive result, and one that you can feel good about, you can be proud of what you have accomplished. Coasting through life sounds easy, but think about all the adventures you would miss if you never asked yourself, 'why the hell am I doing this.'

No comments:

Post a Comment