I may have mentioned before, but if I have not made it clear enough, I would like to emphasize my point with evidence....sign evidence.
The signs and the sign artists in Australia are much more entertaining and detail oriented than I am used to in the states. Therefore, I am going to begin a series of random postings about the signs that I find in Australia, that I find giggle worthy...which are quite a few, so prepare for a ton of posts.
Take for example this sign, which is conveniently located in this cozy little park in the middle of the city on the way to my gym. This sign if you look carefully entails all of the things that one is not allowed to do while visiting the park. In case the picture is too small I will enlighten you about all of the things you are not allowed to do in the park, in case you are confused about what proper behavior entails at a park:

1. no fires (well duh)
2. no camping (well I mean if a tent can fit in the gazebo, why not)
3. no littering
4. no damage to park facilities (I will go into detail further about this)
5. no feeding birds (amen to that one, come on people do you really want a ferocious swarm of birds trying to eat your chips?)
6. no golf or archery (aka-no hitting other park patrons be it with golf balls or arrows...both are incidentally painful)
7. no unauthorised vehicles
8. no animals except leashed dogs
Let me further discuss one of my favourite features of this sign, not only is it incredibly detailed, but some of the pictures are down right goofy and not applicable. Please direct your attention to the bottom right hand of the picture, don't worry I have assisted you by blowing up the picture and highlighting the section of importance.

This picture at the bottom is rule number 8, no animals except leashed dogs....so to emphasize their point they have pictured a prancing pony. Hmmmm, well this is the middle of the city, I am not even sure how much trouble you would have to go to in order to bring a pony to the park. Upon seeing this on my way to the gym, I immediately started laughing uncontrollably and sent my friend the following text message, "ponies are not allowed at the park, so don't even think about bringing your pony to the park for a picnic in the gazebo."
As I was writing this post, I started to see this sign even more clearly, and decided that rule number 4's figure was just as hilarious as the fact that they felt the need to clearly display that ponies were not allowed in a public city park.
Rule number 4: no damage to park facilities.
What on earth would someone have to be thinking in order to be silly enough to start swinging an axe nearly half their body size around in a public park? Hmmm, maybe, "Awwww, man not another ball stuck in the tree, that is it I have had it." Or possibly, "You want a fresh Christmas tree this year kids? There is a nice one down at the park."
Regardless, please stay tuned for more of the hilarious Aussie signs, because there will be many more to come.

No comments:
Post a Comment