I went to the "Masterpieces from Paris" exhibit in Canberra. Aka, the "masterpieces, which are from and held in Paris, but not currently there, and you are lucky enough to be in one of the three cities they are visiting to see it," exhibit. This was the first art gallery exhibit that I have ever visited where there was literally a winding line to wait in to see art. James and I showed up only about an hour after the gallery opened in the morning and already the car park was full and upon buying our tickets we still had to stand in the winding line to get into the gallery for at least 20 minutes. Once we got into the gallery each room was teeming with people, at least 100 people in each room. I have never seen so many people so enthusiastic to see art. Regardless of the crowds and the lines, it was absolutely worth it. The exhibit focused on the post-impressionists; featuring many great artists including: Bernard, Cezanne, Gauguin, and even....ooooh squeal of excitement....ooooooh Van Gogh!!!! Even though they were all great my two favourites were:
"The Woman with a Black Boa"
-Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
I loved this one because it was not on canvas, it was instead on a grainy thick piece of paper, but it was still using oil paint, in a thick sticky style, similar to a crayon. This reminded me of a Disney villain, with the pale skin, and the dark, feathery outfit....you can see her soon in a theatre near you ;).
My second favourite was:
"Dancers Climbing the Stairs"
-Edgar Degas
I loved the composition, the delicate colours, and the careful dainty brush strokes, everything played nicely together.
It was a beautiful exhibit, the painters were nice, I loved the Van Gogh's, his use of colours wins in their vibrancy, Bernard wins in his careful scientific approach to painting dots, and Monet wins the the calming opaques of his lily scenes. If you are anywhere near the three places this exhibit will be showing: Canberra, Tokyo, and San Francisco, I highly recommend that you go.
Dreaming in oil colours from tomorrow, I hope that these beautiful paintings inspire you yesterday, and especially you Granny :).


No comments:
Post a Comment