Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Am I Homesick?

This is question or something of the sort, (are you ready to come home yet? do you miss me?) is something that I seem to be constantly answering. I must tell you that I am (dun dun dun) not yet homesick. I am sure after one major family holiday passes I shall start feeling homesick (especially after Granny describes the delicious menu she surely planned). I don't think that my un-homesickness can be completely attributed to my positive, can-do, independent, and modest (haha) attitude there are a number of things that help me not feel homesick.

1. Skype and other forms of communication

I get to chat/video chat with at least one person from home almost every day. While, it is obvious that this is not really face to face, it is more personal than the contact I carried out while being in Nevada. This is even when I change my Skype cam to look like a golden retriever.

2. My group of American friends


Having a good stable set of other American girls to experience this with is making me feel much more at home. We cook meals together, go out, and most importantly laugh about our strange adventures together. For example, when I went out of my way to open the door for a strange couple (one man with makeup and earings and a woman, both of whom were pushing children in strollers that were much too old to be in strollers) and neither of them acknowledged my presence none the less thank me, I did not have to feel alienated or put off by the rude foreign behavior. Instead I looked at Lizzy quizzically, she returned the face and we both were able to laugh.

3. James

I may only see him once or twice a weekend, but it is still nice to have him there. It is nice to be able to experience normal things, and have a personal tour guide and acclimation guide. It is nice having someone capable of teaching me normal things (at times I feel like I am learning to live again), like how to drive again, no matter how many times I try to use the windshield wipers as the turn signal.

4. Photos

I have photos all around my room of everyone from my life in America, so I am constantly surrounded by them. Also, my screen saver from my computer automatically flips through my pictures on my computers. My favourite part is that it always starts with this one:

(eighties Kim (on one of our random dress up nights) is always followed by bullfighter Papa)

These simple little tidbits help bring me a laugh and a feeling of home every day.

I do miss you all, but I am not necessarily 'homesick' yet because of the above list. I hope I can chat with you all on some fine yesterday soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment