Monday, August 10, 2009

What?! My Name is... What?! My Name is ...

..Chicka Chicka Slim Lacey!

I am aware that I do not have the most common of names, however, I have never had so many strange reactions to my name or difficulty of having people say my name correctly.

In the states I have mainly had trouble in the Starbucks line, where they ask you for your name so they can write it on your cup. Every time I would visit the Starbucks I would become someone new, sometimes I would even become a rapper. Here are a few of my favourites:
-Lassie
-Lizzy
-Lasi
-Laccee
-Leecy
-Lazy
and my all time favourite was...
-Lay-z

However, these Starbucks misspellings and pronunciations are failing to compare to the trouble I have had telling people my name here. Most people think I am saying my name is Lucy, as that is a common name here. Also, most people want to spell my name Lecey. I even recently was asked, "Lacey? That is nice name is that short for Stacey?" Apparently my two syllable name is short for another two syllable name...
I have taken this approach to introducing myself, but it has not had too productive of an effect:
Me-Hi, my name is Lacey.
(This is where they will look at me slightly puzzled trying to figure it out.)
Them-Oh, Lucy, it is nice to meet you.
Me-No, not Lucy, Lacey, like the material.
(They again look at me with a ponderous expression.)
Me-Lacey, like the stuff you make curtains out of, or doilies...

Most of the time this will suffice, but I am considering two options to help in this situation.
1. Always wear lace, so that I can point to the material.
2. Or if I don't always want to look like a little girls doll, I will just carry a sample with me at all times.
I suppose I could consider a third, and just change my name to Sheila.

No comments:

Post a Comment