Monday, November 30, 2009

Bats A Plenty

If anyone has a bat phobia, I recommend that you do not visit Australia, or at least don't go out at night. Those little buggers are everywhere. Here is an example, in the middle of the beautiful Sydney botanical gardens there is a colony of them living in the trees. As you can tell they are just taking a snooze in the tree tops since it is day time.

When Blaise was here she at first freaked out about one bat, but had to become accustomed to it quite quickly after she saw masses of them. I thought that there were quite a few in Sydney...but boy oh boy were we in for a surprise when we visited Cairns. One day after a long sun filled snorkeling excursion, Blaise and I stopped by the Night Markets. Once we finished we were both starving, tired, and grumpy....such a good combination I know... We stopped and got Subway, we didn't think we would make it all the way back to our hotel before consuming it, so we went to stop at a nice quiet bench in front of the Library. We noticed the mass of bats flying above head. Didn't really think twice about it because we were so tired and hungry. So we sat down, and before I could even get my sandwich out a bat dropped a hard seed on my head. I like to think that it just dropped, it, I avoid thinking that it pooped it on my head, for obvious reasons. As Blaise pulled her sandwich out a bat swooped a little too close for comfort. Needless to say we grabbed our sandwiches and practically sprinted out of the area. Even though we were starving we opted to wait for our quiet little mom and pop hotel's courtyard which we knew was a bat free zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment