It is 2010 and I cannot believe it. When I was a kid all of the science fiction movies and books were set in 2010 and just above, and they had flying cars, and magical technologies. Well so much has changed but much as stayed the same, including our gravity prone cars.
I am starting to notice that every single year of my life feels shorter and shorter, like the clock of life is set on a pace that exponentially increases. I remember when I was in preschool and a half a day seemed like forever. Or in elementary school when you couldn't even comprehend the school year being over, it was an eternity. Or the wait until I was 16 was never going to end, or that high school was going to go on and on for the rest of my life. Then I went to college, and someone said to me, "enjoy it, the four years will go faster than you can imagine." I did not believe them because I had just finished 4 years of high school and it seemed painfully long. Well I think that phrase was the moment my exponential speeding of time kicked in. It is suddenly 2010, college is over, I have my degree, I am working on my next, and I can't hardly believe that 2009 is already over. It is all catching up to me and now I am old.
And here are a few examples of how I know this:
1. My little baby cousin Hailey is starting to drive....this makes me feel old.
2. There are more marriages and babies from my high school class than I can count....this makes me feel really old.
3. My Dad told me he bought a new to him pick-up but a used one. He said it was quite old a 2001, and I said, "no that is not that old, only a 2001", he responded, "it is nearly 10 years ago"....oh yeah, wow my years of reference need to be updated...I am old.
4. When I was home this summer I kept saying, "I saw some little kid driving today, I am pretty sure they were too young to be driving." I can remember my Dad saying this to me in high school and I just thought he was crazy, to me everyone seemed old enough to drive.
5. Here the drinking age is 18, and all of us girls think it is so weird to see little 18 year olds running around in bars. Most of us have changed our stances about early drinking and have decided that it is good to have it older than 18 and keep it out of the high schools, and give them more of a chance to learn to drive....wow I can put things into perspective....I am old.
6. There was a trivia question about what was Pixar's first movie (Toy Story) and to me that seemed like a new movie....but then they said that it was made 10 years ago....not a new movie...I am old.
7. When I think back to my childhood friends and their little tiny brothers running around shooting us with Nerf guns...they were so young. Now I see pictures of them and all of these little brothers are not so little anymore, they are 6 foot with booming deep voices....does that mean I look older too? Yep, I am getting old.
I am not saying it is bad, I am just saying that I am finally realizing that I am old....and it is 2010....I can't believe it, it can't be 2010 already, and that statement in itself proves that I am old.
Friday, January 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment