Greetings Yesterlings,
I am writing a letter to readers in my home country, the U. S. and of A. I am now a foreigner, well no not actually, but apparently in my writing I am. My Dad told me the other day that I had been slacking on checking for spelling errors in my blogs. I was a bit surprised, (because I usually do proof read these silly little rants, not to say that I don't make errors,) but I was under the impression that my late night postings had been proof read in a very sleep deprived manner. Therefore, I wrote a new blog, diligently proofed it, and yet my Dad said it still had errors. I asked for clarification and he said, "you don't spell favorite f-a-v-o-u-r-i-t-e." Well I hate to tell you but now I do, and not because I am just zany. Spelling is something I have never struggled with in my life except for in the past 8 or so months. Welcome to the British derived version of English. I get so confused about how I am spelling, and who I am spelling for that I have decided to just adapt to here, because I am being graded on things like spelling here, yet I still can't remember half the time what is spelled how and where. Most of the time the U.S. spelling makes more sense to me, so I usually try to just go with what seems less correct. Here are a few tips about spelling in British English:
1. Ad random u's to words, especially after a letter o, for example favourite or harbour. (Side note, I am typing this in a different browser to my usual, so my computer is currently in U.S. form so it is telling me as I 'misspell' things.)
2. Replace s's with c's. For example defense here is spelled defence. (Another side note, the first month that I dated James, I had little faith in his spelling capabilities because his emails were signed Department of Defence, only to find out the contrary, that he was indeed intelligent and proficient in spelling.)
3. Then there are words that I don't think I will ever stuff up who writes what on like, tire, here it is spelled with a y as in tyre. Nope that one is just not right it looks like it would sound like it was to be pronounced TIE-RAY.
OK that is all for my little rants at this point. I must actually get back to writing an essay in what James refers to as "the Queens English."
Sincerely,
Lacey from tomorrow.
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment