Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Taste of Independence

Did you know that a good 'ol PB&J is not well known, and in fact it often brings about a reaction to other cultures that would be similar to suggesting a typical American to eat fried cow brain (I don't even know if that is a dish, but hey I got the reaction out of you that I wanted didn't I?) I only recently found out that around the world peanut butter and jelly do not go together like, well as we would say peanut butter and jelly. I have discovered two reasons behind this.

1. This is simple, it is merely because no one has tried it, and the strange and new sound of sweet and savoury together does not appeal to most non-Americans.

2. Terminology. In Australia specifically when peanut butter and jelly is mentioned, they do not think of some nice soft bread with a layer of peanut butter and a layer of sweet smooth jelly or jam spread between. Nope, here jelly is what we call Jell-O. So when we say we want a PB&J they likely get the picture of a big lime green Jell-O mold filled with peanut butter, even I am grossed out by that.

Therefore, I have set out to right these two wrongs and bring PB&J's to the world over, one office at a time. Being the token American at my office (my bosses are American too, but as I am not the boss, I am an easier target,) I can catch a lot of flack about my accent, and curious questions. For the most part they are very innocent and curious and actually want to learn the ways of America. So upon educating them about the correct PB&J I was met with a curious fascination. In honour of the 4th of July, my office mates wanted to help me celebrate so they brought in American treats such as Oreos and bagels. I brought in the supplies for PB&J. After a little futile resistance I was able to talk a few people into trying my "strange" concoction. To their surprise, (not mine) they actually liked it! So go America and go PB&J, this sweet savoury phenomenon will be sweeping the world soon (don't even think about trying to ride on the coat tails of my success Vegemite...that is not the same thing at all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment