Well, I suppose it is finally time for me to expand about my trip to Canberra this weekend. I met James at the airport last Thursday. He showed up right as they were boarding the plane, I was there about 40 minutes before that, but even that seemed like it was cutting things short. They are a little more casual about domestic flights than we are. They say you just need to be there before the stated boarding time, or 45 minutes before the flight if checking baggage. Also, they didn't even check my ID, they only checked my boarding pass it was very odd and relaxed.
The majority of this blog will be about age as the purpose of our visit was to go to his Grandparents 89th and 90th birthday parties. It made me start thinking about age, people say it is only a number, but I suppose that is in an effort to comfort someone who is feeling old. It made me think, when you are young you want to look older than you are, when you are around my age, you want to look the age you are, and once you get past 30-35 people want to look younger than they are.
When sitting on the plane James made me laugh and my eyes got all squinty and he pointed at my eyes and said, 'you have wrinkles.' I told him to stop there before he dug the hole too deep, he then said, 'well everyone does when they scrunch their eyes.' So he was back on track but then he told me I looked tired and had bags under my eyes. I warned him again not to dig this hole any deeper because he was telling me I looked old. Then he remarked, 'oh come on honey, you don't look old you look like you are twelve.' Then I had to say, 'woah too far buddy, that is creepy.' He finally recovered by kissing me on the forehead and telling he thought I was gorgeous, but that was a close one.
James' family is very very sweet and everyone was wonderful. I met his brother, his uncle, and his grandparents for the first time, and did not feel uncomfortable for even one minute. Guess what they don't call them Grandma and Grandpa, they call them Granny or Gran and Papa, just like me! :) Well his Granny was turning 90, and his Papa had just turned 89. I think that I found the fountain of youth, and it is wherever their house is. They both still live without any assistance aside from James' Mum driving them to the grocery store, they did finally give up their licenses last year. They both have all their natural teeth, they look 70-80 not over 80. Plus they are both sharp as a tack, they remembered everything from a long time ago plus from the whole dinner. They never forgot my name and they already knew everything about me. They were incredible. I would be very thankful if at 89 or 90 I still had my independence, teeth, and short term and long term memory. Actually I think I will be happy if I can remember my name by 90, haha. Fantastic!
Well it is one of my last nights of classes tonight so I best be off and punctual even though no one else will be.
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment