Once upon a time there was a girl who was had a great distaste for spiders (aka-me.) She hated how they creeped, crawled and wandered around on their 8 disgusting legs. She despised their frightening anatomy and their hairy bodies. Well this girl (aka) me went to Canberra this weekend, without a care in the world and least of all fearing spiders on her trip to the relatively small suburban city. However, one of Aragog's army decided to violate their agreement (please see earlier post) and tormented me (aka the girl.)
James and I decided to do a bit of shopping as he needed a present for his Grandparents upcoming birthday party. The car we were driving on our errands was an old boxy four wheel drive that had been recently used to haul gardening supplies and piles of weeds to the dump. We had been in the car for at least 15 minutes when I felt something on my foot, however, I am a bit paranoid and freaked out by spiders so I shook my foot and said to James, "Uhhh it felt like something was crawling on my foot." He responded "It was probably just a spider." (Now, as an aside, James is aware of how badly spiders scare me and so he knows what reaction such a simple comment would have. But he is always playing jokes on me, such as trying to convince me that the creepy sounds outside his house was a ghost of a haunted man instead of the actual nest of possums that I later found out was really making the noise. Therefore, most of the time I assume he is just trying to pull my leg.) Whether or not I believed him I am still very cautious when it comes to spiders so I checked the ground and area around my feet and found nothing, so I figured he was indeed just pulling my leg. Well just a few minutes later I felt that same disturbing creeping feeling on my same three toes again (the same one I am feeling now thinking back to this) and what do I see creeping around on my foot but a big, black, hairy spider. It had four of its creepy hairy legs sitting on my foot and the other four lodged between my toes and moving along. According to James I screamed. I don't remember that part but I do remember freaking out. I shook my foot violently and sat on my feet on the seat and looked down at the spider. Even James looked over at the half dollar sized big fat black hairy spider, and remarked, "Oh that is a big one." I continued to freak out until I was actually able to gain enough composure to smack it with my thong and then itch my body obsessively, feeling like things were constantly crawling on me (just like I feel right now, thinking back to this....eewewoe heeby jeebies.)
Well, I would have rather not relived this experience but it seems that my blog readership skyrockets with the mention of spiders, so I hope you all enjoy reading this traumatizing experience. I am beginning to be more and more itchy every minute thinking about this so I hope you also appreciate the research about what spider I expect it to be, because looking at this photos online has started to make my skin crawl uncontrollably. Itchy itchy gross gross. Well I think that the spider was what they refer to as the "black house spider" you can see a picture here, hopefully this helps you feel my pain:
The little research I have done says that they are common (oh goody), they prefer urban areas (oh double goody, where I am) and they are most often found in houses (oh yippity skippity, what I live in) and are poisonous, but not lethal (oh goody at least I will not die, unless from extreme paranoia or traumatic shock.)
OK well in the land of tomorrow I must go recover from remembering this incident by taking a shower, and rubbing myself with anti itching medicine. I know I must be well for all the spider questions I will be fielding from you yesterday.
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment