
Well....it has been done, I have attempted surfing. Thankfully Blaise was here to experience it with me. Not only was it a lesson in surfing but it was also a lesson in Aussie surfer dude lifestyles. We were picked up in a rickety old van and drove an hour away from town. One of our tour guides was not wearing shoes, that was the one driving us. The other guys kept pulling up next to us, and honking his horn. We got to the beach and they taught us the moves. Our instructor kept having trouble describing things in eloquent sentences, so much so that he kept saying things like, "whats a good word, you know us surfers aren't the smartest guys, you know, so uhhhh we don't have a very big vocabulary....symmetrical, hey that's the word, pretty good for a surfer." Regardless of his vocabulary, (which did mainly consist of words such as: woah, yeah, haha, right on,) he was a good teacher and I think that every one stood up on the board at least once. Blaise and I were not too shabby, and it was fun. Here is Blaise:

And here is me:

Hooray! The wipe outs were hilarious, but the funniest part of the day was when I started talking to a one of the other girls on the trip who said she was a medic in the navy. I told her my boyfriend was in the navy too and she asked me what ship, she didn't have any connection to the ship, but a few minutes later her friend ran over to me and said, "your boyfriends on Melbourne, do you know..." I had hear the names but didn't know them. Then she asked what his name was and I told her, and the rest of the afternoon all I heard was, "I can't believe you are dating Jimmy Lawless!" What a small world.
Well Blaise and I are going to go get ready it is Thanksgiving here today and so we are going to the Fish Markets again to celebrate....mmmmm fresh sea food.
No comments:
Post a Comment