Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Which Way Would Water Whirl?

Since being here one of the most frequent questions I receive (only second to spiders) is about which way water goes down the drain. Until now I had not been able to answer that question and I am still not really sure if it is the right answer. First of all the toilets don't swirl flush, the way they drain is more a splash into the bowl and then the water just floods out, no swirling. I finally checked the sink the other day and it swirled down counter-clock wise. Which way does it go for you? I read a little bit and it sounds like the Coriolis affect that is supposed to happen cannot affect such small events consistently, that in fact the way the water is introduced into the bowl, the shape of the bowl and the drain are all much bigger factors in the way that water whirls. But that is not as fun to think about sooooo.....

Lets do an experiment. Everyone test this and tell me what way the water whirls down the drain and then email me. If in fact we get opposing whirling ways between hemispheres, we will call it good, and think that it is simple and neat. Let me know what you find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment