OK Melbourne first. For all you non-Aussies, allow me to clarify something about the pronunciation of this city. Yes, yes I know that it seems as if it would be pronounced mel-born, due to the spelling. But nooooooo silly Aussies make fun of you if you pronounce it as it is spelled. Plus they over exaggerate it so that the impersonation is as if I were from Texas (mel-bOURRRRN,) but I digress. So if you ever talk about this city don't pronounce all the letters just simply say Mel-bin. I think that originally they spelled the city as Melbin, and so they pronounce it that way, but some joker had a great idea, "hey guys you wanna know how we can mess with tourists, lets make the spellings of our cities more complicated and then make fun of the foreigners when they try to pronounce the names." Real funny jokester, reallll funny.
Here is Melbin, see it looks like pretty much any other city, big buildings, skylines, people....
OK enough about Melbin the city, lets move onto the Great Ocean Road, I now know why they called it the Great Ocean Road and not the Good Ocean Road. It is more than good it's GRRRREEAAAT, just like Frosted Flakes (an American cereal commercial reference for the non-yanks, YouTube Tony the Tiger if you are curious.) The road winds along the stunning coast for several hundred kilometers. The first leg was done mainly at night, so the coast was not visible besides the moon shining on the water.....BUT I DID SEE A KOALA! This little guy wandered across the road and then was confused when he couldn't get any further, sorry buddy no eucalyptus leaves for you. On a side note I have also after close observation of this creature decided that Disney stole the idea for Stitch from a Koala.
After driving on the windy roads for several hours, vrooom vrooom vroom, finally there was victory!(And yes I actually did drive, it was fun, windy roads, beautiful scenery, however the pathetic part is that I have not driven in so long that my arms were sore for the next two days....) The 12 Apostles! Soooo beautiful.
More Apostles, the water surrounding them is a breath taking colour. It was also so windy that as the waves would break mist would fly off the waves and create little rainbows...it was simply stunning. (Hey Granny I think you should paint this for me!)
The little towns along the way were adorable, with hotels that were actually houses, views of the water, and little cafes using ingredients grown and made locally. If you are ever in the Southern Hemisphere, the Great Ocean Road is a must for both windy road enthusiasts(p.s. expect more posts regarding driving), scenery enthusiasts, or quaint little town enthusiasts. I wanna go back right now! OK well I am off to pout about not being there anymore I hope you are having a wonderful yesterday or today!
Lacey, those pictures are gorgeous!
ReplyDelete