Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Drive on the Left?

Well as I have told you I drove The Great Ocean Road, and yes I really drove. For all of you who are concerned about my ability to stay on the correct side of the road being a right hand side driver as well as my issues with remembering what country I am in, you need not worry. Australia took care of that problem for me by putting up signs all along the road reminding me "drive on left in Australia." See see, on the left:

This made me laugh because obviously there were enough incidents with foreigners driving on the wrong side of the road that the government deemed it necessary to re-orient people to where they were. My favourite part is that the sign actually says, "in Australia." As if they are afraid someone might go home and then sue them for driving on the wrong side of the road because the sign did not clearly explain that it was in Australia specifically. I also enjoyed this because it is helpful to those who have short term memory loss (or long term depending on how long you have been in Australia,) every time you read the sign you are reminded where you are. Who am I, where am I, why am I driving. Maybe the government should be more concerned with keeping such disoriented people off the roads rather than just posting up signs...

No comments:

Post a Comment