While Blaise was here we went to Cairns a city in northeast Australia, that has great access to the reef. We left bright and early, our tour came to pick us up and we were very thankful for that, because we were about all walked out. We then took a nice hour boat ride out to Green Island, on the way we took lots of silly pictures, oh yeah and we enjoyed the view too:
When we got there we collected our snorkel gear and tried to snorkel. Well, they had warned us of jellyfish, and after seeing about 20 jellyfish stuck the the shallow bottom, we chickened out (well maybe more specifically I chickened out,) but the water just did not seem to be getting deep enough for much coral or getting away from the jelly fish. But we did see some neat things along the way. So we went on a glass bottom boat ride. I wish we had kept going out a bit more and splurged and rented the Lycra full body suit to protect against jelly fish but we did not. Because just a little further than were we ventured the really cool stuff started! On the boat ride we saw a ton of beautiful coral, and fish, they even fed them at one point and they went nuts, jumping racing and fighting to the surface!
Then we saw a turtle, and thankfully our boat driver told a Finding Nemo joke, which Blaise and I appreciated, but I am not sure if anyone else got because we were the only ones who laughed and the boat driver said, "well I am glad that at least a few of us are awake.
It was a great experience, but I have learned my lesson. Like the cowardly lion, I need to get some courage. The next time I go, because there sure will be a next time, I am going to get a full body jelly fish shield (aka a Lycra suit, it even covers your hands) I don't care how ridiculous I look, I will need it, and I am just going to keep swimming out until I see something and it will be great!
No comments:
Post a Comment